Wednesday, April 7, 2010

What this blog is about

I recently decided to start this blog to discuss my experiences as a former computer programmer who is pursuing a career in psychological research. I completed my Ph.D. in clinical psychology in 2009 and am currently a postdoc in the Department of Psychiatry at the University of Pittsburgh. My research focuses on improving the classification of personality disorders using advanced statistical methods, particularly latent variable modeling. I am also interested in the development of personality problems during childhood and adolescence and am starting to pursue developmental neuroimaging training to understand the role of cognitive control in personality dysfunction.

This blog is primarily intended to discuss my experiences programming in R (http://www.r-project.org), which is the main statistical package I use for data analysis. I am passionate about data visualization, so you're likely to see some of my explorations using ggplot2, an awesome R plotting package. I also use SAS, Mplus, and Matlab for some projects. And I use AFNI and FSL to analyze neuroimaging data, so those may float into the mix at times. My work computer dual boots Windows 7 or Gentoo Linux, depending on the task.

I am especially interested to discuss best coding practices in R and am always eager to learn better methods in data analysis. I look forward to your feedback!

Cheers!
Michael

2 comments: